Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Magic & Charm of Toilets in Asia - Annie


During my interview for this job, I mentioned my experience with a variety of international bathrooms, and the interviewer responded blankly, "So, where in the world was your favorite toilet?" Without hesitation, I replied: "JAPAN, of course!"


For those of you who have spent time in Japan, you already know what I'm talking about... but for those who haven't, here is a visual reference to help you understand the complexity of an electronic toilet. (Yes, that's correct, an electronic toilet.) Japanese toilets are so clean and amazing that they often have a built-in bidet to squirt you clean! You can even use the dials on the side of the toilet to control the direction and intensity of the spray. (Yes, really.) This can be an extremely positive experience, but it can also be quite surprising if you're not ready for it, if you know what I mean...


In other news from Asia, I just learned about an important new development: toilet themed restaurants. That's right! While dining at a chain restaurant called Modern Toilet, you can sit in a toilet seat, drink your favorite beverage from a cup shaped like a urinal, and have your food artfully displayed in a mini-commode on your table.


There are already seven of these restaurants in Taiwan, and more on the way in other parts of Asia. Some of the menu items are a bit graphic, involving things like chocolate ice-cream. Yikes!


Share your international bathroom stories with me! Send your emails to annie.thegoteam@gmail.com! - Annie



1 comment: